Thursday, December 18, 2008

Appreciation

"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want!"

-Zig Ziglar

With the holiday season approaching, I made my rounds this week with the park managers/owners of my favorite parks (aka the parks I like to work in) distributing goodies and gifts.

My holiday cheer was very much welcomed and appreciated by all. It really brought a smile and put everyone in a good mood. We chatted and talked about plans for the holidays, shopping and the like. It was nice. People really appreciate when I take the time to visit and catch up with them - they feel appreciated.

And guess, what? Since I took the time to care and appreciate these very valuable people in my network, they expressed their gratitude and desire to work with me more in the future. I have been labeled as their favorite person to work with :)

The secret of my success has been directly a result of my network and the relationships I have built. So many people think in terms of money and themselves - what's in it for them? This is why the term "investor" gets a bad name. It's true - most investors are really out there for themselves, greedy and even worse - dishonest. Though, these people never last - it is short term.

Since I am here for the long haul, I make sure my relationships are built with integrity and trust. I am not in it for the overnight success like most people are. I have made a commitment to make this a long term business - I intend to keep it that way.

Speaking of commitment, I'm not going to sugarcoat it - this business takes work. Success does not happen overnight. I have had to put in the hours required to make this business work. Many people I know do not see the benefits - they think I work too hard.

I'll be honest - I've had to give up some things for this business including having a social life. It's true. Some of my friends think I need to be more social and do things normal people my age are doing such as going to events and parties. I guess it just boils down to priorities.

For me, it's not a priority to go out and meet people on a social level. I have a business to run and this takes priority over social events. I do try to make time to be social once in a while. I admit, sometimes it is difficult to interact with others who do not understand. Ah, the life of an entrepreneur!

I respect people's opinions. I think everyone has their own path in life. My path just so happens to be more different than others.

No comments: